Today in Sacrament meeting, my bishop said something about recognizing the "tender mercies" that we receive in our lives. I don't know exactly what he said, I just remember hearing the words "tender mercies". I experienced one of those today, and I have to write it down before I forget it. I've spent the past two and a half weeks in pain. I have a lot of tension in my upper back and neck, and it's creating headaches. They last all day long, and I usually wake up feeling worse than when I fell asleep the night before. I'm not really sleeping much, and it is affecting everything in my entire life. I'm not able to cope with the things going on around me because I'm not sleeping, and I hurt, all day long. Last night I was frustrated and exhausted. When Stuart asked me what was wrong I told him that all I wanted was to not feel pain for 5 minutes. Exhaustion overtook me early, and I fell asleep faster than I have since the pain started. The last thing I thought of before I slept was that I was thirsty, and that today was fast Sunday, and I had forgotten all about it, but that I would fast in the morning. When I woke up just after 7 I realized that I had slept, and slept well for the first time in weeks. I still didn't want to get out of bed, shower, get three kids ready for church, wrestle Stockton through Sacrament meeting, and attend to my secretary duties for another two hours. I really just wanted to stay in bed! I didn't. I got up, got ready, and went off to church, if only to be obedient and set a good example for my children. On my way to church I realized that I wasn't in pain. I wasn't hurting! It felt wonderful, but I didn't have much time to think about it. I sat in Sacrament meeting, and realized that my heart was full, or rather, it was being filled. My Father in Heaven was speaking to my spirit. He loves me, he cares about me, he understands my grief and my pain, and he listens when I pray. I bore my testimony, and just like my bishop said, I felt it being strengthened by sharing it. On my way home from church I felt the pain returning, and realized that I had just spent almost 5 entire hours not feeling pain. All I asked for was 5 minutes, but he gave me 5 hours. I know God loves us. I know he lives. I know that he knows me personally and he understands the struggles that I face, and he won't leave me comfortless.
As I sit here writing, I'm in pain again, but I'm grateful for the 5 hours I was given. I also have an appointment with a chiropractor on Tuesday, and I'm praying for relief.
No comments:
Post a Comment