Monday, March 15, 2010

Monkey see Monkey climb

To say that Stockton is fearless is the understatement of the year. My other kids had healthy fear, they would wander, but only until the couldn't see me any more, and then they would run back to safety. If I wanted to leave someplace, and they wouldn't follow, all I had to do was say "okay see you later" and they would come running after me so they wouldn't get left behind. Not this kid, he'll say "See you later Mom" and let me walk off without ever thinking twice. He will also full on launch himself off the end of the couch, headfirst without ever considering that this might not be a good idea. Somehow, he's never gotten hurt doing this!?! I know there are more examples that I will have to come back and put in later. None of the regular rules apply with Stockton. The more I talk to other mom's about this, the more I wonder if it is a 3rd child thing. My other two kids would have thought about climbing the tree, but they wouldn't have gotten very far before that healthy fear kicked in, and they climbed back down, or fell from a short distance and gave up on the idea. NOT STOCKTON! Stuart was outside with the kids and came in yelling for me to grab the camera and come see. This is what was found.

Yep, that is my Stockton, perched in a tree like he was born to climb it. Granted, this tree isn't very tall, but he is still up at least twice as high as he is tall.

Emma never misses out on a photo opportunity! Love those smiles!

What I didn't get a picture of is how he got himself out of the tree. He would lower himself down, grab hold of the branch he is standing on, inch his feet back, and let himself free fall. He was literally swinging in the tree like a monkey. I love him, and I really hope I can get him to adult hood in one piece!

7 comments:

Alli Waldron said...

I'm glad to know there are other monkeys besides Vance out there!

Amy said...

Sounds like Brayden! Your husband did good on Valentine's :)

Wahl Family said...

Yes I know that it is a 3rd child thing. Frankie is very fearless.

Melanie said...

Stockton sounds just like Hunter!! Hunter would climb to the top of tall pine trees! Scared me to death. He has always loved getting on top of the roof of the house since he was around 3. He followed Van up one day when Van wasn't paying attention. Crazy kids!!

Amber said...

He is so cute! What a little stud up in that tree. How old is he?

Vyanca said...

I would have to say it's just a BOY thing! Croix will climb anything and jump off anything, including a house!

janet said...

little boys don't get cuter than that Stockton!