Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Track Break Fun!

Track break is always an adventure and this one did not fall short. I do love track break. I love that we don't have to keep such a tight schedule and stay right on top of things all the time. I love being more relaxed, and sleeping in, and letting the kids stay up late on a week night. I love being able to go away for a few days/nights and not think about school. I love that I can go across town if I need to and not have to freak out if someone is going to be late for school, or if I will get back in time to pick them up. I love having the kids around, and playing all day. I also don't love track break so much. I don't like the kids getting bored, and picking fights, or teasing each other. I don't like that they don't get to see their friends, and don't have any interaction outside of our family because none of their friends (that I know) are on track break at the same time as we are. I don't like that my two hours of quiet in the afternoons are gone (no time for blogging, or reading, or being a lazy bum). I guess its just like everything else in life, the good with the bad! I miss the kids now that they are back at school, but I know they are happy and learning and doing good while they are away, and they are happy and fun and enjoyable when they are at home, so I'll take it.
Anyway, sorry about that, I got a little side-tracked! We had some fun while we were on break. We spent most of the first weekend with Grandma Conger and Grandpa John. It was fun to take the kids to St. George (especially since our house was torn up with plumbing repairs at the time). We got to go swimming, play at the park, Stockton got the flu (that wasn't so fun), play the Wii, and we even spent a day hiking. It was so much fun. I've never taken the kids hiking, but the weather was so beautiful that I couldn't waste it by being inside. Grandpa John went with us, and it was great to have him along. The kids loved running and exploring and seeing where a new path would take us. I had no idea it would go over so well.
Not the greatest picture, but here are the kids exploring a small "cave". That's Grandpa John-and the only picture I took with him in it!
Stockton LOVED to find rocks. This one is all boy. The entire day he was carrying around at least two rocks. He loved to drop the rocks down hills and watch them break apart as they fell. The kids were fascinated with how the sandstone would just fall apart.

We also spent time this track break doing the usual-going to the library and story time, playing at the park, riding bikes, losing teeth, and climbing mountains. One day we were on the verge of World War III so I packed up the kids, a lunch, and water bottles and we went off on an adventure. We hiked to the top of the Mts. Edge Mountain, and ate lunch up at the top. It was so much fun. The kids really enjoy it. On the way down Preston was even willing to hold Emma's hand to help her out. It was so beyond adorable, but before I could get my camera out of the bag, the moment was over! I did take a few pictures at lunch though.
The glare in this picture is horrible, but I had to post it anyway. This is so Preston. The expression on his face, the pose, everything is captured in this picture.

We currently have several wiggly teeth right now. Between Preston and Emma, the tooth fairy is on the verge of going broke. They were playing in their room one evening when Emma comes running out and says "Mom, I kicked Preston and his tooth fell out!" She was laughing, he was laughing, and upon further examination, I found out they were rough housing, and he did indeed take a shot to the mouth, but the only harm it did was to knock out a tooth (good thing it was already on it's way out!) That's baby tooth number 4, and 2 adult teethe have made their appearance! Never a dull moment in the Humes house!

Here's to surviving another track break!

1 comment:

Dennis said...

I reread Track Break today after church and enjoyed it again. Seeing the kids really helps and hurts the homesickness! I guess you have to have it both ways in this situation.
I love you guys
Elder Humes