My Grandma passed away last week. We were able to go to the funeral on Saturday, and we had a wonderful time. (Is it odd to have a wonderful time at a funeral?) She was 95, and it was a blessing that she passed, so it was really a celebration of her life. I didn't really know her very well, and I never really had much of a relationship with her, but I loved her. It was wonderful to hear the eulogy and to learn more about her life. One thing was that she used to spend one entire day each week doing the laundry by hand. (Someone slap me the next time I complain about having to put my clothes in the washer, walk away, put them in the dryer, walk away, fold them and put them away. Really, we have it so much easier than they did!) I also didn't know that she had been a teacher, and had used that career to help support her family of 11 when her husbands health was too bad for him to do it on his own. She was a woman of great faith, and always told you what she thought and believed, even if you didn't want to hear it! In the end she had dementia, and the last time she was at a family reunion (3 years ago I think) she couldn't really remember any of us, and we all had the same conversation with her time after time over the weekend, but on Sunday, she was able to stand before us, and with more clarity of mind than she had had all weekend, she let us know that she knew she was a child of God, that she loved us, and that she knew of the truthfulness of the Gospel.
Edna McBride Leavitt
Edna McBride
Leavitt, age 95, our beloved mother and grandmother, returned home on May 11, 2009 in
Kingman, AZ. She was born January 6, 1914, in
Pima, AZ to William and Mary Lines McBride. She married Evan
Leavitt in September of 1936 in St. George, UT. They were later sealed with their family in the St. George Temple on June 6, 1964.
Edna grew up in
Pima, AZ until she left to further her education to become a teacher. She helped to raise her 9 children through teaching school and was a wonderful mother and teacher.
Edna is survived by Barbara
Rhoads (Earl), Louise Conger Robson (John), James
Leavitt (Elaine (Tree), Carol
Seegmiller (Phil), Eileen
Bechtol (William (Woody), Janice
Graviet (Vernon). She was blessed with a posterity of 166 including 40 grandchildren, 114 Great Grandchildren and 3 Great, Great Grandchildren.
Preceding her in death were her husband, Evan, and 3 Sons, Karl (Suzanne), Robert (Marie), and Kenneth, as well as her parents and 9 siblings.
Funeral services will be Saturday, May 16, 2009, at ll:00 a.m., at the
Metcalf Mortuary Chapel, 288 W.St. George Blvd., St. George, UT. A visitation will be held Saturday from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., at the mortuary, prior to services.. Interment will be in the St. George City Cemetery, under the direction of
Metcalf Mortuary.
3 comments:
My sympathy to you and your entire family! It's not odd to have fun at a funeral - unless my family is odd too?! It was the joke for a long time that funerals were our family reunions. I enjoyed reading about your Grandma. What a wonderful example for you to learn from! (We really do have it easier, don't we?) I know it's easier to see someone pass when they've suffered but, it still can be hard. I pray your memories will make you smile and bring you comfort in the sad moments. :-)
What a wonderful tribute to our Grandmother! Thanks Heather!!
What a sweet tribute to your Grandma! I enjoyed reading about her life-- she must have been quite a lady!
Post a Comment