Saturday, January 17, 2009

Resolutions are set

I know that you have all been sitting by your computers waiting to hear about my resolution. Well, it has been a tough week, and I've weighed all my options, and I've come to a decision. I decided to set one spiritual goal, and one temporal goal. Drum roll please.....First, I'm going to focus on my visiting teaching, and my attitude about visiting teaching this year. The only time I have ever done a good job at going regularly was when I had a partner that kept me going. It's not that I mind going once I'm there, but I hate the calling and trying to get ahold of a partner, and figuring out schedules, and figuring out what to do with the kids while I go. It is just a lot of work leading up to the actual visits, and I hate that part of it. But, the fact is, I need to do better. I could use it, and I know it is an inspired program, so wish me luck.

I am also going to work hard to get organized. If you know us very well at all, you know that we move way too much. In case you were wondering, it's been 9 times in the 7 years we've been married. I'm really hoping that we can slow down a bit in that area of our lives. For any of you that have moved recently enough to have any memory of it, you know that there are always boxes that get left un-packed, and it just takes time to figure out where to put things. I'm ashamed to admit that we have lived in this house for 5 months now, and there are still boxes sitting in my master bedroom, but it is my reality. I have got to get it together. It is depressing to walk in my room and see boxes full of stuff that I just don't want to put away, or go looking for something odd, only to remember that it is in a box in the garage that still has the packing tape sealing it shut. I can't do it all at once, that's too overwhelming, but I think I can do a little each day, or even each week. So here I go... I set out on a journey of getting rid of things I don't need, finding a place for the things that I do, and finally being able to find things when I need them. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I love the organizational guru Peter Walsh. He randomly is on Oprah and he used to have a show on TLC called A Clean Sweep. He always has good tips. He suggests that if you are trying to dejunk you should set a goal to fill one large garbage sack every day of stuff to throw away. That way it seems attainable to reach your goal of dejunking - you don't need to dejunk but you could do the same thing with emptying a box a day. I am pretty sure that he has written books as well which I can't believe that I don't own yet because I am a BIG fan of his!!! Anyways, sorry about the ramble - but good luck with your resolutions!!!

Bridi said...

What does it mean if I've lived in my house for 3 1/2 and I'm still not organized? I think you're doing great! I lve the picture of Stockton asleep in his chair. Your kids are so cute.

Vicki said...

I love visiting teaching and have such a strong testimony of it. My best friend from our old ward came about through visiting teaching. Good luck with the boxes! I just unloaded my last two just over the summer (3 years after moving in).

Anonymous said...

Heather, how the heck are you??!! It's Leah {Mohr}. I saw your comment on Cami's blog and though I would peek in. I think your resolutions are great. I kept mine easy... no jumping off cliffs and no robbing anyone. At least at the end of the year I can look back knowing I kept them... {I hope} Yours are much better!! You can peek in and see what we are up too, and I can give you Carolyn's email address if you want {he blog is private}

I love finding old friends in the blogging world.