Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Is there a Black Market for 2 year olds?

So, I need to vent. If you aren't up for it, it's probably best to check someone else's blog and come back in a few days when I will hopefully love my children again. Maybe I need to preface this by saying, we had a really good day. Everything was wonderful today. We went to a story time, and then got a free Carousel ride. We met up with friends at Burger King(which was a little dramatic, another story for another time). But we had a great day. Even the afternoon went pretty well. However, for some reason, my older two kids are wired tonight. Apparently everything is funny, nothing I say seems to matter, and I'm pretty sure that's because no one can hear me anyway. However, as frustrating as my beautiful older children can be, that's not what this rant is about. I have a 2 year old, and he is so for sale. Is there a black market for two year olds? If the answer is yes, I'm seriously interested. It all started about a week ago. Stockton is a good kid, really delightful, sweet disposition, but he's still 2. If you leave a door open, he's going to go in that room, find the one thing he shouldn't have, and he is going to destroy it. Not necessarily because he is destructive, more because he is curious and wants to know how it works and what it does. However, this was okay, because as long as you remember to keep the doors closed, you can get through a day without too much trouble. As I was saying about a week ago I noticed that he was turning up in rooms that I was sure I had shut up. Apparently he has taught himself how to open doors. My life as I knew it is now OVER!!! His new favorite place to play is the toilet. Now, I don't have any pictures of his recent excursions, because so far, I've been too frustrated to remember that I own a camera. That being said I came home last night from Activity Days (yes that means it was on Dad's watch) to find one arm of his jammies all wet. This could only mean one thing. As I searched the bathrooms, I discovered that not only had he been in the toilet, he'd been playing with the toothpaste in the toilet. It was everywhere! He'd done a lovely finger painting on the toilet seat, and the water in the bowl was blue with toothpaste residue. Not only that but he loves to eat toothpaste, so I'm pretty sure that at one point or may points, he got toilet water into his mouth. GROSS! Tonight I have found him playing in the toilet TWICE. What is it with toddlers and the toilet. They don't want to use it, they just want to play in it. I've also spent most of the afternoon keeping him out of the pantry, the garbage can, the stove, the entertainment center and on and on and on. However, the straw that broke the mama's back and got him sent to bed early was when he found the stinky diaper that I got distracted and forgot to take outside, proceeded to open it, and play with its contents, and bring it to me like a present. As I think about it, it could have been worse, he could have finger painted on my walls with it, so I'll just be grateful it was only as bad as it was. I'll let you know when he stops spending a majority of his time with his nose in the corner. It could be a while.

4 comments:

Jennifer V said...

Oh, Heather. I completely feel your pain! Sadie was a MONSTER two year old and she still has her days! Once she ate the entire tip of a marker and had a black mouth for a week. More recently, she pooped in the tub, picked it up with her bare hand and was so proud of herself for putting it in the toilet where it goes. *BARF* I seriously just posted a week or so ago about how I was ready to sell her to the highest bidder. I hope things get better soon!

Amy said...

I don't do well when things like that happen - so thankfully toothpaste art hasn't occurred at our house. Instead I get hitting 4-year-olds and 2-year-olds who don't eat and want to be held all day. If you find that black market let me know - I would love to see how much Colton goes for. He is pretty cute so that price could be a good sum of money :)

Melanie said...

I am so sorry Heather, But I had a good laugh at your expense! Not to be mean, but it was funny. Sorry again! Hey go get those things that you put on door knobs that make it hard for even an adult to open the door. It is a pain but they work for a lot longer. It took Hunter a couple of years to figure out how to open doors with those on them.
Please have that camera ready at all times. I would have loved to see the pictures from those stockton adventures!!!

Judith B. said...

Sounds like heaven on earth to have children. We wouldn't have any experience with that though. We are in Brazil all by ourselves with no family to help us. Pour us and happy Heather. We love you