Monday, December 1, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving




Well, being the brilliant girl that I am, I left my camera on the counter when we left for Thanksgiving, and this (see above) is why. I was doing my pre-Thanksgiving baking while Stockton entertained himself with canned food and a cupboard. My family all took pictures, so maybe if I can get them to email me some photos, (hint hint) I'll be able to post some, but for now my words will have to do.

It was a wonderful holiday indeed. We spent Thanksgiving Day with Stuart's family. It was a small gathering, only 11 of us, but we had fun. The morning started out with Stuart playing football in the yard with the kids. They had fun and got dirty, especially since it had rained all the day and night before. Turkey dinner was yummy, and my new, experimental Dutch Apple Pie was divine. Follow it up with Football, and naps on the couch, playing games with the in-laws and the day was complete. The kids had fun, and the holiday was great.

Friday was spent with Heather's family. We all met up at my brother Shane's house and had a great time. There were 30 of us, and only three were missing. It was awesome. We opted for a ham, funeral potatoes, rolls, salads, and pies, pies, pies. The tradition in my family is that everyone brings a main course item, and two pies. It is awesome. There are always more kinds of pies that you can imagine. Pumpkin, Creamy Pumpkin, Lemon Meringue, Apple, Cherry, Peach, Chocolate, and even some chocolate chip pumpkin cookies for good measure. But beyond the food, the company was great! The guys played some football after dinner. Lets just say there was some pushing and tackling and even some dirty play involved. The kids all played great together, no fighting that I can remember. Thanks to Uncle Shane's go-cart and four-wheeler, even the older kids had entertainment. The adults got a chance to visit and enjoy each other. It has been two years since we lost my Dad, and we enjoyed the opportunity to share memories, and laugh, and cry, and just remember the fun, and wonderful, and some of the crazy and bad. But it was wonderful. My family is lucky if we are all together even once a year, and we sure enjoy it when we are. We laughed. If I had to summarize the day it two words, We Laughed would cover it. My Mom's new husband John Robson was there, and hopefully we didn't scare him too much, but we all love him, and he fits right in, and even the kids seem to think he is great.

Well, that about covers it. It was a great weekend. It was so awesome to get to see that much family and just enjoy each other. We can't wait to do it again.



4 comments:

Vicki said...

We definitely had a fun day. Thanks for coming and bringing all the food. I still never got a piece of your apple pie!

Whitney Baldwin said...

I missed you guys! How dare you have fun without us!:) We can't wait to see you all in a few weeks.

The Giblin's said...

Heather...You look great!! I saw your blog browsing through Amber's...your family is so adorable.

Melanie said...

LOL I love that picture of Stockton. That picture says it all. Always into things. I am sure glad you caught that picture.