
And Preston and Zach waiting their turn.
Bust a move! The kids loved the game almost as much as the grown ups!
And finally, lunches were packed, sunscreen applied and we were ready to head to the beach. The forecast said the weather wasn't going to be great so we decided to head to La Jolla. I loved it there, and so did the kids. We started out by checking out the seals. We all got a kick out of watching them do their thing, which was mostly lay around, but occasionally we would watch them moving up the beach, or over another seal, or barking at each other, or swimming out in the ocean. Nature at its finest! This is a little beach where they all like to come, and also its apparently pupping season so there were many of them there with their babies.
You can see the walk way in the picture above that goes out into the ocean. The picture below was taken at the very end of it. We got splashed pretty good from a couple of waves while we were out there.
After the seals we headed to a nearby park for some lunch, and some play. We tossed the frisbee around.
We kicked the soccer ball, ours and some other kids ball that we (and by we I mean Stockton and Zach) confiscated for a few minutes.
But before long, all they wanted was the beach. So the beach we gave them.
We couldn't have kept them out of the water if we'd tried. This was a great little location up in this cove where the wind was being blocked it was actually pretty warm so we could all enjoy it! They splashed and played, collected sea shells, and helped the other kids that were there that day take about 40 hermit crabs hostage. They played for a couple hours without even needing or wanting us. It was fun.
Don't worry, the adults had fun too. They attempted to build a sand castle.
But they failed. You know how there is good packing snow that you can make a snowman with, and have a snowball fight with and snow that no matter what you do is going to fall apart and be good for nothing? Apparently there is also good packing sand, and this wasn't it! Oh well, Say Cheese!
I loved the critters. I was fascinated with the tide pools that were so full of life. Small anemones (I think that's what they were), hermit crabs and another kind of small crab. I loved walking through the rocks and watching them scatter. They were EVERYWHERE, and I was fascinated by them. A cluster of hermit crabs. Oh how I wanted to take some of them home for pets! This is my idea of a good pet!
I spent a good 5 to 10 minutes watching this crab. It took me some time to get close enough for a good picture and for him to get used to me enough to come out of hiding. If this picture were a video you would see him eating. It was so awesome watching him pick stuff from the rocks and bring it up to his mouth. I love the ocean! (And now there is no denying what a geek I am!)On our way out we watched a tv crew getting all preped and ready to shoot a scene for a pilot of a new show. The crew was calling it "Big Mike" It was kind of cool to watch them work and to see them getting the "extras" ready. Plus all of the equipment it requires. I had no idea! Only in CA!

No comments:
Post a Comment