Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Coolest Day Ever

When Stuart and I were dating I knew that he wanted to be a teacher. It was always what he wanted to do. Teach and coach. He went to SUU, got his degree in History and a minor in PE. Instead of finishing his certification to teach, we made the decision to return to the world of construction. Construction has been good to us. It has kept us alive for several of our married years, and I am so grateful it was always there, but it didn't ever take very long before Stuart would get restless and fed up with the entire business, and we would find ourselves on our way back to school. Life always seemed to get in the way, and choices always kept us from actually biting the bullet and sending him back to school. About two years ago Stuart had some really hard, but really awesome experiences in the Police Academy. The big lesson: he didn't want to be a cop and chase after bad guys, he wanted to be a teacher and inspire kids to be better. It was hard for him to walk away from a great job with a great paycheck, but I always knew we were doing the right thing. He resigned, and a few weeks later he was accepted into the Graduate Licensure Program at UNLV. It took him just over a year to get licensed to teach, and after a long and nerve wracking summer he was able to get a job teaching middle school PE back home. I was curious to see how he would like working with middle school age kids, but he loves it.
Here he is on his first day of school.


It has been amazing and wonderful to see the light return to his eyes as he goes to work every day doing something that he loves. We have heard from so many parents that are grateful he is there! I'm so proud of Stuart and all of his hard work. This truly has been a long time coming, but I'm so happy that he has work he can be passionate about and be excited to get up and go to work in the morning rather than just going through the motions to put food on the table. I love you Stuart, and we are all very proud of you!

Oh, and since I didn't get it on here when I should have, here are the kids on their first day of school. They love it here. They love the smaller town and the greater sense of freedom they are allowed by living here. It's good to be home.

7 comments:

Alli Waldron said...

Congratulations to the both of you! It is miserable for the husband and the wife to have somebody in a job they hate. I'm glad Stuart found something that makes him happy. It's sounds like life in Moapa fits like a glove!

Wahl Family said...

I know the middle school kids love Coach Humes!

Emily B said...

I'm glad you guys are loving Moapa. And I know Stuart is an awesome teacher. Those kids are lucky to have you him.

Amber said...

I'm so happy for you guys. It is awesome to hear that you are all doing good. It's the best feeling when you have a happy man! What a great post about your hubby. It is really sweet and a great lesson learned.

PML said...

Congratulations on the great job! My husband wants to know if you know Ryan and Wendy Wheeler. He knew Ryan from Utah State back in the olden days.

Vicki said...

Stuart is awesome at what he does! So glad he is doing what he is good at!

Skeeter said...

yeah, yeah, whatever... I miss you like crazy! Come BACK! hahahahaha

I am so happy for you guys!!! Stu is a great coach! I know it. And Em and Pres are amazing smart kids. Our babies start school in a year and a half... WHAAAT?!

I love you! I miss you!