Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Preston

During my strike, Preston had a birthday! He turned the big 7 this year. We had doughnuts and chocolate milk for breakfast, and we went to Red Robin for dinner. Some friends went with us to celebrate, and it was AWESOME! The kids love the food, and Preston felt like a king.

This time while we were there they had "Red" walking around greeting patrons, and taking pictures with the kids. We couldn't pass that up right! They even came out and sang him the birthday song, and he got his own ice cream sundae. Preston's current favorite thing in the world is baseball, so he naturally wanted a baseball cake. It is far from professional, but I think I did a pretty good job for making it up as I went, and look at his smile!!! He could care less that his mom isn't a professional baker!

As you can see, I used my stellar picture taking skills to capture great memories of his big day (not) and I hope he will forgive me for that some day. He got a new bike, and he has had a wonderful time breaking it in. He would have an even better time if his mom wasn't so paranoid about when and where he rides it. His aunt Kristen was in town to celebrate his big day, and he thought that made him pretty special. We also had our friends Lori, Mackenzie, and Meghan along for our birthday fun. It was a great day.

It has been a big year for my big boy. He started all day school. He played T-ball for the first time and love love loved it! He is growing up so much. I looked at him the other day and realized that my little boy is gone. He is getting older, and more mature. He is an amazing big brother. He and Emma fight like cats and dogs, but he is protective and loving and he cares about her, and Stockton so much. There is nothing better than that moment when Preston gets home from school and Stockton runs to give him a hug. Preston always stops whatever he is doing to wrap his arms around him and say "Hi buddy, I missed you. How was your day?" He is the ring leader of our little crew and already knows that sometimes it's better to send his younger siblings in to ask mom and dad for this or that, thus removing himself from having to ask and be told NO. (Behavior we discourage, but laugh about when the kids are gone.) He is my little math whiz, and reads like a champ, but he thinks writing just takes too long. He loves movies, and pizza, and Friday is his favorite day because he gets both. He understands so much, and I love to watch him grow and change, but I miss that little boy who just wanted his mommy! He still has a soft spot for me (and I hope he always does). He can never deny me a hug when I ask, and when he is in a good mood I even get a kiss on the cheek. I love that he already has a love for the scriptures. At night he will tell me "Mom, I just want to stay up and read my scriptures a little bit." The kid is a genius, because what mom is going to say no to that? The crazy thing is that he really does read his scriptures. He loves to tackle the big words, and figure out what the strange words mean. He has a thirst for knowledge and devours anything to do with Science.

Preston, I love you! I'm proud of you for all you are learning and all you are doing, and for wanting to try new things. Thank you for being a good big brother. Thank you for still being my boy, even though you think you are too big for such things. I'm grateful everyday that Heavenly Father sent you to me. He knew that I needed you. He knew that you would make me a better person. You are amazing, and I wish I was more like you in so many ways! Happy birthday bud! I hope you have a great year!

5 comments:

Amber said...

What a good boy. He is getting so big. I can't believe you have a 7 year old. CRAZY time flies. The cake looked awesome, nice job.

Amy said...

It does seem crazy that they are getting so old. Logan turns 7 in December. CRAZY!!!! I am SUPER impressed with the cake - as we all know I don't bake :)

Whitney Baldwin said...

I can't believe how fast seven years can go by--seems like just yesterday I was in college and babysitting Preston once a week. I have a special place in my heart for that kid-- I hope he knows how much I love him!

Wahl Family said...

Happy Birthday Preston!

Vicki said...

He's 7??? Wow, how time flies! Can you get him to rub off that scripture thing onto my kids? They all whine when it's time to read them! Anyway, Happy Birthday Preston!